Sunday, June 2, 2019

For Evermore II

I dreamed about the Constant Wanderer last night. I assume it's because I've been thinking about them, what with my latest post and all.

In the dream, I was floating through the college where I met Addie and I knew, all of a sudden, that I was near the Constant Wanderer. I asked the Constant Wanderer what they were doing there, even though I knew what they would say. They said they were just passing through. Then they asked what I thought of the idea of immortality. I told them I wasn't sure. I didn't quite know why, because I knew what I really thought, at least in the dream. I never wanted to die.

The Wanderer seemed to know what I was thinking, because they told me something that we humans have known for a long time. They told me that immortality is hell.

It's one of the oldest ones in the book, really. (The Epic of Gilgamesh, to be more specific.) The Wanderer told me that no matter how hard it would be on my friends for me to die, the guilt that comes with watching others do the same would always be worse.

Of course, I have no intention of living forever in my waking life, but it seemed slightly presumptuous of them not to consider the possibility of that being the case even when you're mortal. I told them that. They seemed earnestly surprised, and apologized for the transgression.

I noticed after a little while that I had, at some point, ended up in the graveyard where Addie was buried.

We floated a bit more, maybe, and then I woke up.

When I woke up, I remembered what my current circumstances were. Specifically, my friends and I were staying at a hotel, courtesy of our benefactors at ARC. (Complete with moderately nice pool.)

I also remembered that I didn't care what the Wanderer thought.

- Poe

5 comments:

  1. I frankly plan to be the last living thing and to do so I also intend to never die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not for you to decide fuckface. If you really want to live forever, start running bitch.

      Delete
    2. So, uncouth. I'm gonna have to wash your mouth out with soap before you kill me next time we meet.

      Delete
    3. I suppose I'm supposed to know who Hella is?

      (Though I do like their style. Anyone who hates Faceless is fine in my book.)

      - Poe

      Delete
    4. Oh, wait, now I remember. She was the one who fought Faceless in that weird tournament.

      ...How'd she get out, again?

      - Poe

      Delete