Tuesday, February 5, 2019

The Tell-Tale Heart

Eric says he's okay if I post this here. So... I guess I will.

We swapped stories last night. He already knew about Addie, so I didn't tell him about that. I don't... really want to talk about what I told him in such a public place, though. It's hard to explain. Just suffice it to say that I've told you all about some pretty terrible things... and this was worse.

Eric, meanwhile, told me about his own past. It happened pretty recently, actually. It turns out his circumstances aren't all that different from mine.

Eric was camping in the Appalachian Mountains with a guy named David. A friend of his, evidently. It was cold, and they were alone. David heard something. Eric didn't. It got pretty tense; Eric eventually agreed to go check with David, but at some point they got separated without realizing it. Eric heard something, something horrible. In a panic, he searched for David. He found him, all right. Just... not living.

The official answer was highly unclear. They thought it was some sort of wild animal that did it, but they couldn't get any further than that. It wasn't human, at any rate.

ARC contacted Eric soon after. They didn't say what did it, because they didn't know. They just told him they didn't think it was natural. They did say they'd had an eye on him for a while, though; he was a law enforcement ranger, and they believed that, despite the tragedy inherent in the situation, it was the perfect opening for a job offer. And now Eric works for ARC.

I think David was the Carcass.

It all clicks. I think, in some way, the Carcass was vengeful.

It sounds crazy, I know. But then, is the idea that it could feel residual anger really more unbelievable than that it could exist in the first place?

I don't know.

This all feels weird.

- Poe

No comments:

Post a Comment