Saturday, April 20, 2019

Blood-Hound II

So, last post I mentioned the name "the Once-White Wolf." This is a nickname I've heard given to the Black Dog in reference to a bit of Runner folklore, one of which I happen to be partial to myself. The story goes that the Black Dog used to be pure white, but when it took on the duty of punishing sin, its fur became black as night, stained by the ash of guilt. They say it wasn't only the fur of the Dog that was made ashen, but its very soul; being among the guilty and punishing evil with evil lead it to become a force of darkness itself.

Like I mentioned, I'm partial to that idea. I've never been one for punishing evildoers (certain notable examples aside), and the notion that the Black Dog became evil through doing so speaks to me, in a sense. It's poetic, I guess.

Mind you, there are those who claim the Fears are impartial and cosmic, not truly evil. I'm inclined to disagree. The Fears are all too willing to place stakes on our personal lives, and raise them, for that matter. Otherwise, why bother? Seems a bit odd for a being of sheer alien indifference to seek out servants and murder humans. No, the Fears are evil, the purest personification humans can ever hope not to encounter.

And, of course, I'd know.

- Poe

1 comment: