Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Blood-Hound

As if the birds weren't enough to deal with, now I have to deal with a dog too. The Once-White Wolf, the Long Slash, the Blood-Hound. The Black Dog.

It visited me last night and it gave me a single raven feather. Very subtle.

I was under the impression it only came for you if you had secrets, anyways. Everyone who reads this blog knows about what happened to Addie. What does it want with me, in that case? Or are those just rumors, and does it come for you no matter what you do, an implacable and unrelenting incarnation of guilt?

...That was melodramatic.

Sorry. I'm still feeling a little shaken.

I was sound asleep, but I jolted awake when I felt hot breath running down my neck. I looked around, and it was there, carrying a bird's feather in its mouth. I was the only one who was awake. It disappeared into the shadows before I could wake up Eric or Giles, leaving nothing to testify to its ever having been there but my memories and the feather on the ground.

(Do you suppose the Black Dog realizes that possession of raven feathers is illegal in the United States? The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service definitely needs to get on this.)

- Poe

2 comments:

  1. Everyone has secrets, don't lie to yourself. Though there have been cases before where an intense feeling of guilt was enough for the inky pooch.

    At least that's what I've heard. Haven't encountered it myself.

    -Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I never claimed not to have secrets. I just don't see what any of them would have to do with raven feathers.

      Not that I can exactly phone a friend on that one. That would rather defeat the point of keeping secrets.

      - Poe

      Delete